Thursday, September 17, 2026

That Was Very Good, Yet I Cynically Understand Why They Shelved It

 

Coyote Vs. Acme was a biting satire about corporate greed, political corruption, and huge companies that decide legal shenanigans are far cheaper than protective safety measures and customer satisfaction.

No wonder the company behind it never wanted it to get shown.

Fortunately for all of us, it did get a release, because it is fantastically well done.

Comparisons to Roger Rabbit are almost a requirement.

It was extremely funny. Yet it was also far darker than the Disney helmed story of cartoon characters in the real world while being more heartwarming at the same time. 

I was impressed by John Cena. I knew he had excellent comic timing, which I have seen him display before. He needed to be intimidating when facing "the little guy" in both corporate and legal settings. Intimidating for a wrestler is second nature. However, he was able to play it as being intimidating due to his intelligence, resources and experience, not his physical presence. 

The real key to this film was the Looney Tunes and how they were placed into the real world. However, it wasn't just Looney Tunes plots and situations in the real world. There was some of that, and it was also handled very well. The other situations they were in and jobs they held were normal, everyday situations and jobs. What made it work, was that all the characters they used kept true to their personalities and actions in those settings. 

Many of the original cartoons consisted of watching the "little guy" gain a victory over a bully. Or the natural world winning over industrialization. 
Or the laid back working class types winning over the pompous and priveledged. 

Coyote Vs Acme stays true to those concepts, while weaving a tale about trust, friendship, values... and things exploding for no reason.

It did all of this, while keeping the irreverent and crazy cartoon characters anchored to their personalities and history that have been established over the years.

Its been a hit with audiences as well as  a critical success and it has already made more at the box office than it would have as a tax write off.

Lets hope the lessons it's trying to show get through as well.

I've noticed my reviews of films I like tend to be far shorter than my complaining rants. What that says about me, I'm not sure.

My one complaint about this film, it should have ended with this:

The-the-The-the-The-the That's all folks!!!

No comments: