Atlantic City Day 2 January 4 2026
A Tiny Beach Experience
Per the whole point of this, and any,
trip to Atlantic City, we all slept late. Once we finally reached the land of
the living, we set things up for the day. Anabelle stayed behind to read for a while.
(That’s my girl.)
Rosa and I went down to the beach. Rosa
needs to see the ocean every so often. I had a vital role to fulfill in this
situation.
At first, we accidentally got on an
elevator going up, because we both forgot to push the button when we got there.
It is possible to relax too much.
Rosa enjoyed the beach because she is
genetically disposed to, and also because I fulfilled my vital role. This role
was to say, “Stop worrying about finding Gluten Free restaurants while you’re
here and focus on the ocean.”
We spent a while with the gulls and
pipers soaking in the peacefulness. When we finished, we reached out to
Anabelle to meet for lunch at the Crepe place that was closed the night before.
Rosa grabbed a taco bowl from the giant
“to go” Counter Service place downstairs that connected to Casa Taco and most of the other
restaurants on that level. Anabelle and I met up in the Crepe place where I had an
existential crisis.
Anabelle immediately ordered the Açaí
bowl she wanted there.
I tried to make a choice that would
somehow align with my cardiac diet. For the first two selections, an ingredient
was unavailable. CrazyHungryLand does not only happen in Disney.
Finally, I decided if I was cashing in a
“Leave Me Alone, I’m On Vacation,” I’d have something I enjoyed. Therefore, I
ignored the crepes the place was named for and had a fruit covered Belgian
waffle.
Fed and mentally restabilized, we
stopped at the same Counter Service Rosa got her lunch from for her own, “Leave Me
Alone, I’m On Vacation,” and she got the roasted and coated nuts that are her
favorite AC snack.
Another superhero conversation dominated
this day’s stroll on the Boardwalk. Now that Anabelle could wander casinos
unfettered, we could easily poke around the memorabilia down at the other end at the Hard Rock Café. They
had THE PANTS from Motley Crue’s “The Pants Album.”
Or whatever it’s really called.
Down past the Showboat, way at the end,
we tried to figure out what the Ocean hotel was. At first, we thought it was business
based because of the display cars parked around it. Looking at the hotel and
website, it seemed more beach based. Maybe it shunts to business for the
winter?
Ooh look, a light house!
On the way back, while we discussed past
Atlantic City adventures, the wind kicked up to unpleasant levels.
We ducked into Resorts, the hotel we
stayed in when Anabelle was wee, to avoid the blusteriness. Hey, Breadsticks was
still there. I wonder if that will be important later? He said, tossing in some
foreshadowing.
Having Anabelle be allowed to walk
anywhere on the rug now made navigation much easier. It also meant I would not
be unceremoniously tossed out of a casino against my will again.
Resorts had Rosa’s fish machine… we
thought. (You got a lot of foreshadowing in this hotel… a shame if something
were to happen to it.)
Back out in the wind, a woman sat on a
bench feeding squirrels while yelling Happy New Year to all passers. Local
color adds a lot to our trips.
Swarms of those push cart “chauffeurs”
were at every entrance begging for a hire in the frozen, lean, and windy
times. The only thing that tempted us was avoiding the massive seagull swarm
that dove down at us.
I admit it was far colder than it was
supposed to be even for January. Thanx to Anabelle’s new ability to traverse
casino rugs, we could take the inside connected route through Bally’s, their
Cowboy Casino and Caesar's.
There was more nostalgia for us passing
the entrance to Johnny Rockets, where wee Anabelle loved to eat and watch the
dancing waiters. There was only one guy eating in there and Anabelle realized the waiters would probably still have to dance on
schedule. The empathic embarrassment mortified her.
While reduced from the days of
animatronics, the Cowboy place still had some fun sights. Based on the piped in
music, Anabelle did a Hip Hop demo as we entered Caesar's. Nothing unusual here.
Unlike our hotel, the little store in
Caesars had a lottery ticket machine. It was sold out of the $1 ones, so we
thought. (More casino foreshadowing.) Therefore, Anabelle and I cashed in our
New Year’s Eve ticket winnings on a couple of $2 tickets.
Anabelle won $10, the largest take in
years of our Atlantic City trips. I won $2 and grabbed another ticket. Another
winning thing- songs Anabelle liked were played all over the place, indoors and
out, leading to more dancing demonstrations.
We crossed over to the desolate and
abandoned Pier Mall, and Rosa inquired if we could get some Swedish Fish. This
is not an offer I would ever refuse. She also wanted some chocolate covered
nuts. I probably should have mentioned the dark chocolate covered malt balls I
always throw in to avoid the near gluten emergency as we left.
We bought the usual Grandma souvenir of
popcorn flavored jelly beans from ItSugar as well. While paying, I made an
impulse buy of candy cigarettes. The vast scope of this impulse is illustrated
by the fact that I didn’t realize I bought bubble gum cigarettes until we were
back out on the blustery boardwalk.
The wrapper of the first “smoke” blew
away immediately… shortly followed by the second “smoke” blowing away even
quicker.
Back at the Tropicana, Anabelle decided
to try her hand at a slot machine for the first time. She picked a Double
Diamond Penny machine, which, interestingly, is a combination of the types of
machines Rosa and I like on the rare occasions we play slots.
Anabelle put in a dollar, spun the
wheels a bit, and took out a $2.20 voucher. She proclaimed, “This is the stupidest
thing I have ever done.” (That’s my girl!)
Following up with, “Imagine being
addicted to this.”
The machine didn’t give out change,
meaning she ended up a dollar ahead with a voucher for 20 cents.
We wandered around upstairs and down in the Quarter
and peaked into the “Time for Wine” store. My friend from past visits seems to
have moved on to better things. I was glad I had the two vacation beers the day
before as they had no interesting weird ones in the cooler.
Heading back to the room, we noticed the
Christmas tree light and music show had stopped and figured it only ran on the
weekends.
Back in our room at four o’clock…it
still wasn’t made up. This continued throughout the week, no matter that we did
not hang the “go away” sign. Luckily, one of the housekeepers was still in our
hall and I was able to ransack her cart… with her help! Woo!
Hey, I won five dollars on the same type
of scratch off as Anabelle! This was our biggest Atlantic City winnings in quite
a long time. We celebrated our gambling prowess by resting together for a bit.
A rogue biscotti bag tore off one of
Anabelle’s nails, sending me down to the little store to get a pack of Crazy
Glue. Oh, excuse me “Future Glue.” Cyanoacrylates have been around for decades;
can we stop giving them stupid names?
All repaired, it was time to dress up
for “Fancy Night” at Cuba Libre. As always, the women in my family put my
definition of “Fancy” to shame.
Given the location, and the bottle of
Kraken Rum I always have at home, instead of the rum flight, I went with a Rum
Punch. It was the right way to went.
Y’know, for a guy who doesn’t usually
like Mango or Butter, I’m a huge fan of the Mango Butter this place puts on the
table.
Hey- “Respiro” by Sebastian Yatra. I
know that one!
Rosa went with the only thing always
gluten safe in Atlantic City once more, rice and beans. She enhanced her return
to this dish with fried plantains and the awesome and unusual plantain and
turnip chips with three dips. (Don’t knock 'em till you’ve tried them folks!)
Anabelle and I split an oversized
paella. She allowed me to take some of the larger pieces because she had some
of Cuba Libre’s amazing Yucca Fries to go with it.
Because we paced ourselves, a rare
family dessert was enjoyed. The other rarity for this city was a Gluten Free
mocha selection Rosa was able to enjoy.
Anabelle termed her tres leches, “a sensual
experience.”
For my “dessert,” I went with the Empeñadas
Del Mar. True, the shrimp and other sea creature stuffed and fried bundles of
tastiness were not technically on the dessert menu. However, they were the
correct decision. I may have ordered them as Empeñadas Del Mas… but since I did
want to eat "mas," I feel they counted.
The waiter gave me a very Star Trek answer when I asked about the sauce accompanying them.
“It’s green.”
The evening’s music continued to be fun.
Mixed in with multiple versions of “Feliz Navidad” were Spanish versions of
“Satisfaction” and “Winder Wonderland.”
“Don desta la nieve Navidad!”
Rosa and Anabelle danced along in their
chairs to “Despacito” before we finished up.
As we passed through the Quarter this is
as good a place as any to mention the weird eye art place. Iris Galerie (for
that was the name) would do a high definition scan of someone’s iris and pupil,
and then. for various levels of exorbitant funding. make paintings, jewelry or
other art out of it. I guess they figured the “more money than sense” crowd
were likely to show up at a casino.
There was a bit more gambling. I played
a while on one of the Poker machines I used to enjoy. It did not peak
Anabelle’s interest in the least.
She did try a Wonder Woman machine…
because Wonder Woman.
Very quickly proclaiming, “This is so
stupid.”
That’s my girl!
Back at the room, we made plans to hunt
down Rosa’s fish machine the following day. We checked out the Breadsticks menu
for nostalgia reasons. Compared to the minimal selection down that end of the
Boardwalk, it didn’t look half bad.
Following our shower parade to wash the
casino smoke off of us, that came from even our brief encounter, we shifted
back to the “resting” theme of this trip. We all read a bit. Anabelle wanted to
make an iced coffee and went out to the ice machine. She returned proclaiming.
“There’s a freak in the hallway.”
There was a guy just standing there, who
pointed and said, “That’s my room.”
I’m sure it is, sir.
Requests for Disney Trivia quickly
transitioned to the “I’m thinking of something in Disney World” Twenty
Questions game. This even more quickly transitioned to Anabelle’s “Would you
rather” Disney World questions, all of which, yet again, had some mention of
Haggis.
While reviewing possible meals for the
next day, noticing the Burger Bar in out hotel had a “Bean Burger” led to a
return. When I first brought up the existence of the “Beans in My Ears” song,
Anabelle quickly transitioned from disbelief to absolutely loathing it. I
played it for a while before we all drifted off, because I am a horrible human
being.
18,235 steps, 6.5 miles
No comments:
Post a Comment