As always, I will start out with the good. I definitely enjoyed Spider-Man Brand New Day. The Spidey stuff was excellent. The action was amazingly handled. The cast and chemistry between them was outstanding.
There was, however, way too much stuff in this film.
It's almost like Marvel, who had the lead for a long time, is following in past DCs footsteps of rushing to the big crossover rather than focusing on storytelling.
Much like Fantastic Four, I would have LOVED a whole movie of the montage at the start of this film.
The chemistry between Peter, MJ and Ned continues to be as high as its always been in these films... which leaves me to wonder why they are extending out the rift between them as long as they are. Spidey is supposed to be downtrodden, and inspirational because he always gets back up and continues. However, one reason I tend to get disillusioned reading his stories is writers tend to forget to give him those victory moments in between. Keeping this trio separated is a huge waste of talent.
I feel like I'm over complaining. I really liked the film, and enjoyed it the whole way through. Using Hulk, Punisher, the Hand and Damage Control were fun ways to show the connected universe. I just wish Marvel would focus more on the story its telling and not the road to the cross overs.
Once again Marvel has figured out to play into the actors abilities and connections. Spidey and the Punisher have never had this level of chemistry between them and impact on each other's behavior. It also disproves a certain kind of fan's insistence that Frank only works in hard "R" rated releases. He was completely the Punisher in this film, and his past tragedies carried as much weight as they did in the Netflix shows.
Tom Holland continues to be wonderful as Spider-Man and Peter Parker. He is "amazing" at bringing emotions, physicality and an overall performance that gives us a real edge to a comic book accurate interpretation. I would love to have seen this in the theater again, if I had time... and didn't have to take my grouchy old man self out of my house to do it. I thought the way he performed the genetic crisis he was going through as being linked to him trying to focus only on Spider-Man and not Peter was fantastic.
Sadie Sink did a great job as the villain who wasn't really a villain as well. And I'm sure she'll be a fantastic Jean Grey when the X-men franchise restarts. I'm not sure why she had to be Jean in this film. They already royally screwed up the Dark Phoenix saga twice on the big screen. Should they be starting the path for a third one already?
That's all I've got.
Which makes me wonder if waiting almost a month after seeing the film because of my break was such a great idea?

No comments:
Post a Comment