Thursday, October 20, 2022

"Morbin-Time" Joke Free Zone


A movie review continuing my trend of hopelessly late ones.

Since the vast majority didn't like it, and made fun of it mercilessly. 
And I had things to do.
And, y'know...plague.

I didn't see Morbius in the theater.

Since I know me, however, I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray sight unseen.

And it was the right move.

I could start by saying, I don't understand what people have against this film.

But I do understand it. 

This was clearly not a superhero film that Marvel (And Sony with their Spider- Man films) have caused the world to expect.

It also didn't have the comedy edge that making Venom films into buddy / bro-mance outings did.

I still had a great time, and my wife liked it too. 

I would compare it to the comics, but with the exception of his minimal role in Maximum Carnage  (HA! See what I did there! Comedy and movie reviews, while you wait) I have no Morbuis comic book appearances.

(Hey, Marvel has over 7,000 characters, I can't keep track of everyone!)

Morbius doesn't feel like any of the modern superhero films, because it isn't. Instead the vibe is much closer to that of 1950's Mad Scientist flicks.

I could totally imagine this made in black and white with Vincent Price.

You've got the tale of a "tortured by illness" individual who finds a way to eliminate the disease, but learns the results are much more of a curse that a cure. Multiple transformative scenes, and acting styles, were needed for that. Whether or not one is a fan of Jared Leto, this role is right in the center of his wheelhouse, and he did a fantastic job with it.

Matt Smith as Milo played Leto's also afflicted friend, who, in contrast, embraces the curse. Smith was off the walls bonkers in the best way possible. It was like watching "Mr. Clever" from "Nightmare in Silver" amplified, pumped up, and accelerated.

Adria Arjona, fantastic in Good Omens, was also fantastic here. Her role as the slightly less brilliant but far more practical partner to Morbius's activities highlighted the importance of the positive side of what he was working on would achieve. Her intensity gave the emotional scenes some...
Bite. (Bwa Ha Ha!)

Jared Harris played the standard 50's (less mad) scientist mentor role to a "T."

Al Madrigal and Tyrese Gibson as the long suffering FBI investigators trying to figure out what was going on were also throwbacks to horror films of old. Their incredulousness and reactions added moments of humor.

I'm sorry I missed it on the big screen, because the visuals were unique. It showed super speed and super senses in ways that were new, interesting and cool. By using a mix of colored motion blur, acceleration and slow downs, the action scenes didn't quite look like anything else.

There is an advantage to movies that everyone jumps on the bandwagon to universally revile, even without seeing it.

It is very easy for me to encourage folks to give it a try, because it can't possibly be as bad as they think it is.

Granted, the mid and post credit scenes made absolutely zero sense.
But you can turn the movie off before they happen.

I'm sincerely hoping they make another one. I had a ball.

No comments: