Monday, February 7, 2022

Bray Days: Physical Education


Freshman Year was when I started formally exercising regularly. No matter where we ate, that and a youthful metabolism, brought me to levels of healthiness never seen before or since. 

Aging is truly unfair. Now I have to walk/ bike an hour a day just to maintain weight, while watching my diet closely. Thanks to my knees (and most of the rest of me) running is no longer an option. Back then I could semi-regularly grab a bag of kettle cooked barbecue chips on the way back from a stint on the track and still be buff and slim.
 Sadly, my mental image held fast at “high school chunky” preventing me from confidently talking to any college women. On the positive side, the joys of the passage of time has allowed reality to come closer to merging with that image once again.
 
RPI had six, half year, physical education requirements, in a vain effort to get some toning of its geekly population. Four were complete electives, the other two were mandatory at the start of school.
 
The first requirement was called “aerobics.” This was a blatant case of false advertising. It consisted of taking gangs of freshman out of our natural habitats of labs, arcades and computer centers, and thrusting us into the perimeter of the field outside the Armory. I have no idea why all colleges use "Armory" for "gym." There we ran laps, with no timing, no goals, and no way of tracking progress. Twice a week- “Go run in a rectangle” - in the hopes we didn’t latch on to the “freshman fifteen” in the first two weeks of school.
 
The second requirement was an absolute hoot.
 
RPI felt, correctly, that swimming was a valuable life skill, and therefore all first year students had to pass a basic swim test. If not it was mandatory to spend the “post aerobics” half of the semester in a class learning to swim. The comedy was born of engineering students’ penchant for both overconfidence and laziness.
 
Folks who don’t have to deal with male engineers on a daily basis would never imagine just how many of the crowd made this interesting decision. Rather than accept having to take the class, they figured they could bluff their way through the test.
 
Let it be known that the test was described to all of us as requiring swimming a lap down the pool forwards, followed by a return backwards. Any stroke or paddle was allowed, as long as we moved. The key element for those planning to use their excellent fakery skills was:
the test began with us leaping into the deep end.

In spite of a total inability to hold a straight line in a pool, my years of Lake experience made passing a breeze. 
 
The instructor and his assistants were fishing nerds off the bottom of the pool for much of the session.
 
With the first semester done, we could pick whatever classes we wanted. It was two years before I’d consider regular running, but I signed up for beginning and advanced weight training to fill the next semester. The reason for this can be summed up in two-words:
 
American Gladiators.
 
The show had just started and caught my attention on the teeny four-inch televisions in some of our rooms. I have no idea why 
this late night bit of physical foolishness sent me to the weight room when no normal sport ever inspired me to get in shape up to that point of my life. When I read articles about it, I saw I was at (or close to) most contestant requirements, but I couldn’t do the initial screening number of pull-ups: ten or twenty.
 
I do not remember which number was the requirement because at the time, coming off my completely inactive phase, I could do…
 
None.
 
In short order, I acquired a poster, the soundtrack, and pictures of Zap. (My favorite Gladiator…maybe there was a reason I was inspired)  A couple of years later, the tour came through Albany looking for local contestants. Sadly, the show had developed enough popularity at that point that the contenders were as bulked up as the original Gladiators had been. Even though I could do a large number of pull-ups by then, I knew I couldn’t make the new initial screening cut.
 
However, I did continue hitting the gym. Once I could see actual definition in the mirror, which I never had a hint of before, I was hooked, stopping in the weight room more often than the assigned class time. Originally, it was five days lifting a week, splitting legs and arms. By junior year, I combined the lifting for longer sessions three days a week, with running another two or three. I continued this pattern for many years at home, but a combination of broken equipment and broken portions of my anatomy, plus, more importantly, needing the time to focus on aerobic exercise to keep my heart working, makes returning to that state less likely This is particularly true as I get older and discover new and exciting ways to be sore and injured.
 
The side effect of working out almost daily at the time, was freeing me up to pursue less strenuous gym classes for my final two requirements.
 
As an officer of the RPI Juggling Club, it was easy to join the masses that came to our second most popular ad- “Get Gym Credit!!!” 

My other selection was bowling. I come from a family of bowlers. Mom is still helping to run the league connected to my grammar school, which she has been a member of since those pre-fossil days. My sister, who lives in the same school district now, is also an officer of that league. Dad bowled on all kinds of work connected and other leagues, including the Hub Lakes one with my Mom.
 
I …
 
Did not.
 
Being related to the rest of them, I did find myself on alleys multiple times a year growing up whether I wanted to or not. I had two particular idiosyncrasies.
 
A) I would fall down at the line … often. This would coincide with my best throws and highest point totals. My nephew seems to have inherited these genes.
 
B) I would choose the heaviest feeling 16-pound ball I could find in the alley, and hurl it with almost no curve but massive amounts of force. I didn’t always knock all the pins down, but the ones that went down, stayed down, darn it.
 
I didn’t bowl often enough to have an average worth tracking, but I usually stayed in the 130-160 range.
 
Then I took the RPI bowling class, taught by the basketball coach.
 
I have not cracked 100 since completing that class.



2 comments:

longbow said...

I remember there being four required. I aerobics, swim test, juggling, beginning weights.

My swim test included treading water for a couple of minutes. A kid from my floor could barely do the lap. During the treading I put my hands over my head and challenged him to go feet only. For some reason he tried this and sank. I grabbed him and held him up for the rest of the time hoping they wouldn't notice. He passed!

Jeff McGinley said...

Thanx for the reminder. Yes there was a treading water part. I forgot about that. i also didn't mention, while a lifelong excellent swimmer, I inherited my dad's lack of back stroke ability, and spent most of the "swim backwards" part underwater, making it a more difficult test.

There were 4 requirements outside of aerobics and swim at least for me, because I know I wouldn't have done "Gym electives."

Here's hoping you inspired that kid to learn to swim on his own.

thanx again!