Monday, August 26, 2019

Litany of Godzilla: Reiwa Cartoons

There is a reason these are late that has nothing to do with the fact that I didn’t notice they were on Netflix until a couple of weeks ago.

Well…almost nothing.



As much as I am a total and complete fan of Godzilla films, I have never been able to get into anime.

I know I'm supposed to, and I’m in danger of losing much geek credit by admitting this, but the genre doesn't do anything for me.

I’ve tried several released movies and shows, that I “should have loved,” and came away with overwhelmingly “meh” feelings.

In college, I went to see Akira with a huge fan of the film to have it explained as we watched.

That same method caused me from being completely baffled by The Wall to adding multiple Pink Floyd albums to my collection.  Understanding is my gateway to fandom.

“Meh.”

I know, I’m a geek heathen, but there it is.

Therefore I was in no rush to hunt down this animated trilogy.

However, the release of Godzilla: King of the Monsters rekindled by G-Fandom to dangerous levels.  Getting to finally see a mess o’ Kaiju film on the big screen (three times!!! WOO!) drove some actions. 

I can’t help raving about it a little more.  I’d only seen the other (far less impressive) American versions, and the start of the Heisei and Millennium era films (which have no monster foe, and one weird antagonist for Godzilla respectively) in the theater.  Therefore getting to see four classic Kaiju, plus some future stars, looming over me was a wonder. 

This time the American studio focused on what they do best:  The creation of expensive, high level effects that let us see the creatures move and have expressions that bestowed the personalities on them that were previously conveyed stylistically through the suit actors.

We also got to see interactions with both characters and settings that highlighted the massiveness of these beings, while still giving them a personal touch.  It was fantastic to see a film not crafted by those who wanted to reimagine the Kaiju King in a new image, but by those who loved the original franchise as much as I do.

As you can see, my Godzilla genes went into overdrive. I upgraded tapes to blu ray where available, but those I had to rewatch with my family. (Because we’re a fun bunch!)  Then, naturally because my timing sucks, Criterion announced the Showa box set.

Ebay selling, here I come.

Therefore to keep my Godzillometer full, I embarked on watching the animated films (released in 2017 and 2018) while exercising to have a full and complete litany.

I hope you all appreciate when I suffer for your entertainment.

There will be one post for each film.  Not because they are brimming with content. In fact they are chock full of standing around with nothing happening.  Honestly, they feel more like a bunch of half hour episodes glued together telling one dragged out season arc instead of three separate films. However, sometimes, I have to have a life too.

Click to continue

Click for Litany of Godzilla Index

No comments: