Thursday, September 20, 2012

Sometimes, I remember...

Sometimes, I forget that I usually really like my job.

Other times, despite the normal levels of chaos and screaming, I remember.

This parody of Billy Joel's "Still Rock N' Roll to Me" was written in one of those latter times.

STILL R&D FOR ME



What's the matter with the job I’m doing?
Someone help and give me a clue
Maybe I should work for Ron McDonalds
Or find somthin’easier to do,
But I like to try to make a new de-sign
“Ain’t no way it works” You hear nay sayer’s whi-ine
Everybody's talkin' 'bout a new job
oh fine, but it's still R&D for  me

What's the matter with the test I’m running?
Can't you see that it takes a year
Need results for a meeting to-morrow
We build “at risk” again. once more, I fear
Must run more samples to please quality assurance
I’d try consultin’ but I’d lose my insurance
New test, no rest, all messed, really stressed
It's still R&D for me

Oh, it doesn't matter if you publish some papers
'Cause nobody will know what they mean.
If you write it all down
You still won’t get renown, from a patent that will never be seen...
Hidden In tech’ magazines

Manufact’tring never likes our changes
Know they won’t work in the way we say
Or-gan-I-zation always re arranges
Just depending on the time of day.
Finance wants to cut a chunk from our budget
The data’s bad, Legal says we can’t fudge it
Timeline shrunk, parts junk, project’s gonna get sunk
It's still R&D for me

What's the matter with the guys in mar-kit-ing?
Making promises we never can keep
The sales force all say “we need those features”
Well I guess I won’t be getting much sleep
Cor-por-ate  tries to really overwork us
One more disaster, I will go join the circus
No time to play, long day, good pay, o k
It's still R & D for me

Everybody’s walkin’ so I must be
funny, ‘cause it's still R&D for  me



2 comments:

Kim Luer said...

AWESOME!!!!

I totally love this one!

Jeff McGinley said...

Thank you! This one was fun to do, and I think my first engineering song not specific to my job.