Thursday, February 16, 2023

Fantasy Shows I Liked More Than Some Other People Part 1


I had a great time watching the new Willow show. So did my wife, daughter and sister.
Grandma said she watched it, but didn't care that much. Then again, she liked Wednesday, which I figured she'd have issues withTherefore, I've given up trying to predict what she would like.

It felt like the movie to me. It was a fun, mostly non-serious, all ages fantasy tale, with a bunch of likeable characters, and the occasional cool monster. Willow didn't win against Bavmorda in that film because he was a Great Sorcerer, he won because he was clever and compassionate. Yes, we got  the Cool Old Lady wizard duel, but that was the message of the movie. Empathy and compassion triumphed over evil. That's how Sorchia changed sides as well. 

Granted I am biased towards this franchise for two reasons.

1) Warwick Davis

Imagine my surprise as a 13 year old Rabid Star Wars Fan to discover the starring Ewok of the third film was played by someone a mere month older than me!  I have been living vicariously though his career since that point. It started with seeing on set pictures of him with the cast, and shortly after learning he (very politely) contacted George Lucas to ask for (and received) Star Wars toys. I was thrilled "one of us" was on the inside. This has continued throughout our lives as he appeared in a blockbuster fantasy film in his late teens, directed by Ron Howard. (I was a HUGE Happy Days fan, and Little Opie Cunningham don't make bad movies.) Then he got to be in a bunch of other Star Wars projects, on Doctor Who, (Anabelle refers to him as "Porridge" whenever she sees him) and appeared on stage with the Pythons.  He's carrying the fandom banner for my entire generation!
(I also do not think it is a coincidence that his daughter's name, name is "Annabelle." She appeared in this show as Mims, continuing the cycle)
I was thrilled to see him come back to this role from a film I quote as often as humanly possible. Everyone in the RPI Juggling club worked at learning to do the "Madmartigan Sword Flip" with clubs as well.


2) Gaming Roots

This is the best interpretation of a low level Dungeons and Dragons adventure I have ever seen. 

Observe the following:
The reasons the characters are all together are filled with coincidences.
Everyone has complex and interesting back stories with huge holes in them allowing them both to drive the plot, and be adjusted as needed.
Each individual is learning the basics of what it means to be themselves, and how any skills and powers they have work.
All of them have several random quirks or strange ideologies that are atypical for the roles they play.
While possessing deep knowledge in a certain area, they are generally clueless about the world at large.
They are clearly all friends, but squabble endlessly about pointless stuff. 

I could easily see this gang stumbling their way through the Caves of Chaos outside the Keep on the Borderlands. 

Final thoughts-
I appreciate how they were bold enough to plan for three seasons from the beginning, allowing threads to start that haven't been completed, allow hints to things that aren't resolved this season, and overall allowing for more complex characters and story.

However, I do have one complaint.
No, its not that Val Kilmer should have made an appearance. I shouldn't have to state that one. Kevin Smith got him in a Batman parody in Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. This doesn't need to be said, it is a given and they better figure out how to pull it off.

My complaint concerns using my absolute favorite thing about the original film, The Brownies, in only one small (ha!) cameo in a single episode. They need to travel with the group in seasons two and three, please.

And somebody better have something stolen, "While they were taking a pee pee!"

[Later edit- well...crap. It got cancelled.  If we complain enough will they bring it back?]
[Later later edit- Or... maybe not, just a big space between seasons. Who knows? Not me!]


No comments: