Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Greatest Prank

A day late for this story, but oh well, here's the tale:

Over the years I have submitted many theoretically funny essays, stories and poems to be judged for the Writer’s Digest annual contest.

None of them have gotten the slightest moment of recognition.

One day in the he coffee room at work, I found a freshly delivered box of flowers in the garbage can.   The image stuck with me and by the end of the weekend, this was in my head.

I sent it in, and it took 7th place in the Rhyming Poetry category in 2010.

Perhaps I’m focused on the wrong type of expression?
Here's the poem:




Roses

A dozen fresh roses lay tossed in the trash.
It’s the end of the story,
That’s all that we know.

Did a special occasion become a no show?
Was romance pushed too fast, or perhaps just too slow?

Did someone hear “yes” in a clearly said “no”?
Has love fizzled out due to time’s ebb and flow?

A dozen fresh roses lay tossed in the trash.
It’s the end of the story,
That’s all that we know.

Did one stay unchanged while one learned to grow?
Was an off hand remark a cruel mental low blow?

Did each high fade away, overwhelmed with a low?
Was the mood rage and anger, or sadness and woe?

A dozen fresh roses lay tossed in the trash.
It’s the end of the story,
That’s all that we know.

But maybe…

There was no good left in the old status quo.
A courageous decision made this time to go.

With strong self worth attained and a healthy ego,
The future horizon displays a bright glow.

A dozen fresh roses lay tossed in the trash.
It’s the start of the story,
That’s all that we know.


Now…here’s the punch line.

The entire time I was writing the intent was to create a parody of the lowest level of lame High School Literary magazine type poem.


I was one reading pass away from throwing in a allergy reference about boogers or a straight out fart joke, when I uncharacteristically decided, “Nah, I’ll leave it serious.”

No comments: