Monday, September 11, 2017

Disney 2016 Planning Part 5


September 1, 2015
W minus 429
Sci Fi Dine in Theater now serves breakfast!  All I have to do is think the word “grid” and they change stuff!


September 13, 2015
W minus 417
Two years to the day that we returned from Disney World, we finally reduced the number of digital photos to a level we can print for albums, now begins the uploading.  This means either A) We take too many pictures, or B) We need a better sorting algorithm.  Honestly though, I think it is C) We shouldn’t lose our folder of reduced photos and have to do it all again.  On the positive side, we’ll get them uploaded, ordered, printed and into a book just in time to start seriously planning for the next visit.


September 23, 2015
W minus 407
Jock’s Bar, an Indiana Jones themed establishment, opens in the new Downtown Disney.  Between that and the Jungle Cruise Skipper themed restraint in Adventureland, I believe the spirit of the Adventurers’ Club is being preserved.


September 28, 2015
W minus 402
Pirates reopens after a long refurbishment with enhanced effects.  There’s something extra awesome about the fact that Disney goes out of their way to make sure this old favorite remains the state of the art in animatronics.


September 29, 2015
W minus 401
Downtown Disney is officially renamed Disney Springs.  I’m sure I’ll start calling it that right after I stop referring to one of the parks as “MGM.”


October 1, 2015
W minus 399
Pecos Bill’s redoes their menu adding fajitas, burrito bowls and other such items. The giant fixin’s bar remains and takes a decidedly taco-ish slant.  Just when I think I can cross a place off the grid, they pull me back in!


October 7, 2015
W minus 393
Looks like Pecos Bill’s neighbor has also redone its menu. The Tortuga Tavern now has Flame Tree Barbecue like fare. That will make me even sadder when it’s closed every time we go.


October 15, 2015
W minus 385
Duffy fired from EPCOT!  I guess it wasn’t too big a deal as I didn’t find out about it for eight months.


October 19, 2015
W minus 381
small world refurbishment planned August-September 2016…good thing we’re going in November next time.


October 26, 2015
W minus 374
Minnie hosting Dinner year round in MGM Hollywood and Vine.  Here’s hoping the kids grow out of Doc McStuffins and Sofia by next year.


October 29, 2015
W minus 371
Due to another burst of concentrated effort, we have the pictures printed from the last Disney trip.  Due to normal levels of chaos in our lives, the next burst of concentrated effort won’t come for a while meaning we’ll miss the goal of having albums more than a year before the next trip.


November 5, 2015
W minus 364
Hyenas in Kilimanjaro safaris!  YAY ED!


November 12, 2015
W minus 357
Big family effort for the home stretch:  Rosa uploading and checking them all, me sorting them, and Anabelle arranging them in the sleeves.  Yes, we finally have Disney Trip Albums from the last adventure. And we finished just slightly less than a year before we go back, but slightly more than a year from when that trip is due to end.


November 17, 2015
W minus 352
Grandma’s knee replacement.  As with every single element of her interactions with the orthopedist, the decision is based around, “I need to walk through all of Disney World with my grandchildren next year.”


November 23, 2015
W minus 345
The already horrifyingly mammoth World of Disney store in Disney (used to be Downtown) Springs is now six thousand square feet bigger.  Anywhere else on earth this announcement would keep me from going anywhere near the place. However, Disney is awesome and not only made it bigger but added decentralized checkout lines, information booths, directional signs, and other features to make the place more navigable.  I think it’s going to need a voice activated Star Trek the Next Generation type system to keep me from getting lost.


November 24, 2015
W minus 344
With less than a year to go, and multiple attempts to guess at hours and crowd levels corresponding to when we’ll be there, it depressingly sinks in that the state of change is at such a constant level in Disney World that most of my homework is for naught and I’ll need to largely wing it once the planning really starts.


December 3, 2015
W minus 336
The Backlot Express at MGM changes their menu to a Star Wars theme. This includes “Vader waffles.”  Pardon me, but I think there’s something in my eye. *sniff*


December 4, 2015
W minus 335
Garden Grill lunch substitutes sausage and peppers for the fish, massively reducing my ability to eat there, so much for that idea.  May have to do breakfast…where I’m really not supposed to eat any of it, but I’d rather be bad with bacon and biscuits than sausage and peppers.


December 5, 2015
W minus 334
The Sunset Showcase opens in MGM. The first use of this venue is an indoor character dance party, Club Disney.  Guess everyone else liked that idea as much as we did.  At least this one isn’t a “ticketed event.”


December 6, 2015
W minus 333
Captain EO finally gets the boot.  The replacement is a salute and 4D showing of Disney and Pixar shorts.  With that level of customizability, sadly, that probably means Honey I Shrunk the Audience is never coming back.

No comments: