Thursday, August 12, 2021

Holy ...Crap, I Don't Have Time For This. Again.



There's a new Transformers show!

I saw Suicide Squad!

There's a Godzilla Movie and TV Show that needs to be added to the Litany!

I met my favorite professional wrestler...a second time!

But no. Because I'm "the Comic Book Guy" and because there are overly sensitive, clueless people getting their spandex knickers in a twist about comics they likely do not read, I have to stop and explain this.


As soon as I saw the link to the headlines about DC having one of the Robin's explore his sexuality, I was sure of three things.


A) There would be a boatload of "Holy Orientation!" headlines featuring pictures of classic, silver age, Dick Grayson Robin from the comics or TV show.

B) There would be hordes of bozos who haven't read a comic book in the past forty years (if ever) up in arms about "Wokeness" and diversity ruining comic books, which (as mentioned) they likely don't read.

C) Without clicking on the links, and without a shadow of a doubt I thought, "It's Tim."

Tim is the third in continuity full time Robin, he came after the original (Dick Grayson) and his replacement Jason Todd (killed in a reader phone in vote, really) and before Stephanie, the girl Robin, (Technically the second girl Robin counting the out of continuity masterpiece  Dark Knight Returnsand Damian, Bruce's artificially created son with Talia who may or may not be his enemy based on the day of the week (Because...comics!)  Tim may be Robin again, even though Damian is in the Robin titled comic.
 
I don't think its Jarro the spawn of Starro anymore.
( I am not kidding.)


Honestly, it's hard to know about Damian since modern comics are less fun and rarely use codenames.  Also I have foolishly decided to spend more on silly things like food and shelter instead of the never ending series of Bat-crossovers.

The reason for knowing the first two points above comes from having been alive and paying attention for the past fifty years.  Anyone surprised and upset that comic books are trying to be socially relevant and diverse has not been reading them for most of their history.

In the very first issue of Action Comics, Superman's first appearance included-
Stopping domestic violence.
Averting capital punishment for a wrongfully convicted person,
Overhearing a corrupt politician and lobbyist.

The only real difference is now, the inclusiveness has expanded.


The reason for knowing the last of the three points above is, I know Tim.

Though I'm old enough to have read the original, I regularly started collecting Batman comics right around when Jason was killed by the Joker. (He got better, and became "Red Hood" because...comics!)

Therefore Dick has been Nightwing to me, and Tim Drake has been my Robin.  I read his first appearance in 1989 from Batman  436 , part of the Batman Year 3 story.  Then I followed his development when he figured out Batman and Nightwing's secret identities and showed up in the A Lonely Place of Dying arc and finally declaring he was there because Batman needs a Robin.  This led to him becoming Robin in Batman 457, and I had the little poster of him by Norm Breyfogle that came with the issue hanging on my dorm room wall.  I then read all of his appearances up to and through the Knightfall, Knight's Quest and Knights End stories that led to his own three miniseries-es and ongoing title. Not to mention collecting his runs in Peter David's young Justice and Geoff Johns's Teen Titans.

So I know the guy.  
I watched him grow up...slowly, and partially.
Because he's fictional, which I also know.

Those who think they know him from Batman The Animated Series are only half right, as that character was a blend of Tim and Jason.  

A huge part of the character has always been trying to find his place and figuring out who he is.  He's the only Robin who was convinced he'd never be a life long crimefighter, and certainly never wanted to be Batman. Yet he repeatedly showed the many ways he was closest to Batman in his unmatched detective skills, his leadership chops on teams, and his ability to be ruthless when needed.

Faced with the evidence of his abilities, and a frequently changing family and social structure he constantly was trying to adjust to teams, home life, school, and figuring where he fit in and who he was.  He changed costumes and relationships a few times.

Therefore, having him realize he was bi this far along the creative path of the character, after having several relationships, is perfectly aligned with the past portrayal of Tim.  It's a natural extension of his character, and will not change his caped crimefighting style, nor the history of other Robins.

Aside- Most of Tim's relationships were disasters, as will likely be any current of future ones, due to another similarity he shares with Bruce.

He was always much better at controlling whatever weird and dangerous situation he found himself in, and handling strategy and tactics for his teams  than figuring out his personal role in standard social situations.

And Frankly, I'm not the only one who noticed the ridiculous levels of tension between him and Superboy in Young Justice and Teen Titans.

Don't freak out again non-comic book people. This is Connor,  "Clone of Superman and Lex Luthor" Superboy, not the original "Superman when he was a boy" or even his son from newer comics.

I mean, readers noticed. Impulse didn't notice. He was the Will Byers of Young Justice wanting to just run around and play games while everyone else was worried about dating.

On the positive side, DC decided to change tactics with original Green Lantern Alan Scott after scrapping the Nu52 fiasco and pick one of the "that's pretty bold" ideas I listed when I had to explain that one.

OK, come back next week when I'll get back to topics I actually wanted to write about.


Holy Tangents! 



5 comments:

Dina Roberts said...

I didn't know different people took on the role of Robin!

Your post reminded me, suddenly, that I used to watch this Australian comedy about the DC characters. I thought it was funny, but I'm not in the DC fandom. I wonder if you'd like it...Or if you've maybe already seen it? It's called The Justice Lease https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvpANWF5OLM

It might be something that's more funny to non-fans OR it could be even funnier to fans. I'm not sure.

I think you're right about people getting angry about the woke changes in things they never cared about before.

Now I'm worrying I already told you about the Justice Lease thing. If I did...sorry!!

Dina Roberts said...

Now I feel dumb. I just watched a second of The Justice Lease and remembered in each episode there was a new Robin. SO...that's probably why I suddenly remembered the series when reading your post and learning that in the real comics, Robin changed.

I didn't realize that joke in Justice Lease was based on the real comics, and I didn't remember that aspect of Justice Lease when recommending it to you.

I hope I'm making at least a little bit of sense.

Jeff McGinley said...

Justice Lease sounds hilarious, I'll have to look into it, I never heard of it so thank you. Don't think of it as being dumb, think of it as your subconscious making a connection before your conscious caught up.

And don't worry about knowing about Robins. From 1940-1983, there was one. Then they came through in spurts. Dick became Nightwing in 1984, and Jason and Tim both debuted in the 80's. Then Stephanie in 2005 and Damian in 2006 ( & Jarro in 2018.)

Thanx again for reading, and for the show suggestion.

longbow said...

For those of us who grew up with dick on the TV show, it's tough to imagine him straight.

So Damien is probably asexual or would only have sex for reproduction or manipulation of an intelligence asset?

Jeff McGinley said...

I kinda feel like both show Robin and Damian are asexual for different reasons.
Show- Gosh, why I'm not ready for any of those kind of feelings!

Damien, you described well. And even in those circumstances, I feel he'd exhaust other avenues first.

thanx for reading!