Thursday, April 21, 2022

Ghostbusters- Life After the Other Ones

 

I saw Ghostbusters: Afterlife as soon as the disc came out.  
However, it took a while to figure out how I feel about it.

That's misleading.

I liked it a great deal. It's a worthy follow up in the Ghostbusters universe, the run time went by extremely quickly and I could easily watch it again.

My conflict comes from forming this controversial opinion.

I'm not saying it was better, but I am saying the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot felt more like a Ghostbusters movie than Afterlife did.

Again, Afterlife was fantastic. However, it was more of a tribute to how much we love the original Ghostbusters than it was the same kind of film.

The 1984 movie had irreverent subversive humor.
Afterlife has more sweet and cute humor.

The original had full on scary moments.
Afterlife has more creepy or suspenseful moments.

Once more, I'm big fan, and I loved the film. 
But when and if it gets a sequel, I hope it goes back to the same kind of comedy and horror that made the original part of my mental makeup.

The new "teen Ghostbusters" fill the same roles as the original four.
The anti social scientist
The enthusiastic believer
The snarky skeptic
and the practical local.

It's obvious there's still the "sting" of the 2016 film in the minds of marketing (such as they are.)

Phoebe is clearly the protagonist, the hero, and the character with the most interesting and complex arc.

None of this is clear from the trailers or commercials. 


The call backs and tributes to the original cast, happenings and villains were presented with almost a reverence... as they should be for the type of film it is.

For those of us who love the 1984 Ghostbusters, maybe a little too much, it's like coming home.





No comments: