Monday, April 4, 2022

George Awards: Tell Klaus Rebecca Sends Her Love

Warning
This post contains bad, foul, filthy and unacceptable language - the words that “will curve your spine, grow hair on your hands and maybe, even bring us, God help us, peace without honor.”

This is not a post for children.  Kids, take a hike.
This is also not a post for those adults who are offended by this type of language.  Do yourself a favor, and go read some of my cute stuff before moral outrage can kick in.
Just about everything else on this blog is clean…Stupid sometimes, but clean.
End of Warning.
Wow, nine years of celebrating swear words!
If I can actually think of anything, next year is going to be a big deal.

Once again (since my own tradition sneak up on me again because I am tired and clueless), there are no new categories this year, just films I forgot in previous George Awards (click here for the explanation of this foolishness) for the Creative Use of Profanity in Film.

For all the ridiculous shit my wife puts up with watching based on my movie preferences, I have no objections (on the occasions she decides to choose a movie, rather than picking from the odd multiple choice mixes I suggest) to whatever she wants to watch.

Invariably she'll go for a romantic comedy, most likely one with Hugh Grant.

Most of his movies can be summed up as follows:
Hugh (incredibly flawed but also incredibly charming) meets girl.
Hugh and girl fall in love.
Hugh does something stupid to make girl leave.
Hugh ramps up the charming part, drops some flaws and they get back together.

But he's funny and likeable so it works. 

Sadly, Music and Lyrics (2007) doesn't have any really stellar profanity, because it is a brilliant commentary on the creative process as well as a friendly, but effective satire of both (then) modern and Eighties music. 

The first film I saw with him was Love Actually (2004) early in our lives together. In all honestly it is an excellent comedy, with many sweet moments, and it is easily rewatchable. 

The only problem I have with it is seeing Alan Rickman playing that much of a tool. Even in other films where he's irredeemably evil (or good but jerktastic) he's got a strong element of class to the character. 

Anyway, I am remiss as to leaving this film off of the George Awards for this long, particularly for the initial, brilliant exchange between Grant's Prime Minister David and Natalie played by Martine McCutcheon.  Theirs is one of many stories with a sweet and happy ending, which even a rotten old bastard like me enjoys sometimes.  (And yes, that is Chloe Webber's mother. Doctor Who actors are all over these movies. I really feel that Hugh Grant not playing the Doctor outside of The Curse of Fatal Death is a huge loss.) 

Natalie- “Hello, David. I mean "sir". 
Shit, I can't believe I've just said that. 
And now I've gone and said 'shit' - twice. 
I'm so sorry, sir.”
David- “It's fine, it's fine. 
You could've said 'fuck,' 
and then we'd have been in real trouble.”
Natalie- “Thank you, sir. 
I did have an awful premonition that I was gonna fuck up on the first day. 
Oh, piss it!”

And what would a good comedy be without clever call backs?  When he eventually finds her home for one of the many happy reunions near the climax of the film, he and we hear her say:

"Where the fuck is my fucking coat?!"

Also, all the scenes with John and Judy (Martin Freeman and Joanna Page) as the sweet, terribly shy and awkward in conversation sexual film body doubles should get a mention. Even though they are only pretending, so they cant make THAT list, they were still hilarious and cute.

 
The reason that sparked bringing my wife's tastes into what is likely her least favorite series of posts is what happened this year. I realized she didn't own, and possibly had never seen, the Ur Example (1994) of the Hugh Grant romantic comedy (also by writer Richard Curtis) Four Weddings and a Funeral. 

I didn't know anything at all about this movie. 
This meant I was clearly unaware that Curtis described the screenplay to Neil Gaiman as: 
"I'm four pages in , and so far all anyone's said is 'fuck.'"

Therefore, for Charles (Grant) and Scarlett's (Charlotte Coleman) extensive, continuous  and glorious repetitions of "Fuck:"

On their way late to the first wedding (with "bugger" mixed in)


On their way late to the second wedding.
Which has Grant's fellow Curse of Fatal Death star
 Rowan Atkinson as the priest, 
providing no respite from the laughter.

And for Charles alone when he realizes the fourth wedding (his own) is a bad idea.

This film needs George Award recognition.

There's a hysterical sex scene in this one too...but I'm not searching the internet for it.
Go watch the movie...you perverts.


Now that this, Ninth Annual George Awards up running with a proper British salute, we can continue. (Annual-ish. There's been nine over nine years...never at the same time though. Who gives a shit?)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will comment after I’m done searching for the hysterical sex scene on the Internet!!

Jeff McGinley said...

Happy hunting!