Monday, July 17, 2023

Harryhausen Through a Kid's Eyes Intro / Index


There were several "weeks" of the channel 9 4:30 movie that I would eagerly await.

Naturally Godzilla was one.
Planet of the Apes was almost as important.

To show a bit of quality and taste, the weeks they showed Roots and its sequels as well. It was assigned for school but turned out to be amazingly well done, and highly educational from a factual and emotional standpoint.

However, back to my normal love of lesser quality.

The one series that I haven't been able to revisit for a long while was the Ray Harryhausen films.

They probably peaked my interest more than any other movie. 
I went into Star Wars at age seven already as a huge fan of stop motion and mythology.

After years of hunting, a bluray boxed set finally became available. It was a birthday present this year which nicely timed with Anabelle's spring break.

Unlike my normal (rabid) levels of needing to watch things in chronological order, I insisted we start with my favorite from childhood memories, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.  

The effects and creatures in all of them are top notch, but the cast (particularly Tom Bakers wild, over the top, yet still human villain in this one) raises it above the others for me...
and it turns out for Anabelle too.

Anabelle picked the order after that. A shout out to Funny Steve at the comic store for talking up the Baboon in Eye of the Tiger that inspired her to follow up quickly with that one.

When I went to save my notes, I made a discovery. Due to the old DVDs I had, I did introduce Anabelle to a couple of Ray's films when she was younger. I foolishly expected to find the Sinbad films more quickly, and was waiting to do a whole series.

Then I forgot about them. 

Anabelle remembered watching them at age twelve, though, which led to her wanting to continue once we finished the Sinbad films.

Here then are the Harryhausen "Kids" Eyes commentaries...with some actual kid's eyes comments finally being revealed as we got to those movies.











Bonus Fantasy Films Inspired by This Journey:




2 comments:

Anabelle making taylor swift references again said...

Harryhausen through a kid's eyes (12 year old version) (from the vault)

Jeff McGinley said...

What an absolute shock.
Thank you for making these posts possible and fun.
Love, Daddy