Thursday, September 29, 2022

Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein Through a "Kid's" Eyes


This is where it all started for me. Horror comedies are my favorite genre, and this is he grand-daddy of them all.
 "Of course they're all here," said Rosa during the credits.

Before I was a Marx Brothers fan, and before I knew what Vaudeville was, I was an Abbot and Costello fan. They were on Sunday mornings, meaning multiple weeks of the year, I'd miss the middle of them for Sunday School (CCD).  

While at CCD, I mostly prayed this one, and other favorites, would be airing on the weeks we had off. I am not sure I got what they were intending out of that classroom experience.

Before my horror movie genes kicked in, this is where I met the monsters. 

It is the perfect introduction. You get the big three of Universal Monsters with explanations either spoken by the character (Wolf Man) or read off cards (Dracula and the Frankenstein Monster). This and every book about horror, monsters, cryptozoology and special effects make up in the Riverview School library was my introduction to the movies and stories I'd love my whole life...
before I was brave enough to watch them myself.

Bela Lugosi returns as Dracula seventeen years after the original film, and he's still got it. He hasn't lost a step and since Dracula is more relaxed and "undercover" Lugosi a greater amount of personality in the role. However, the air of menace is still there. He goes by Count Laos, which is close to Baron Latos. However, there's no way we could mistake Lugosi for Carradine. 
I'm convinced they're different characters. Lugosi is the real Dracula.
(I don't know what I was thinking back when I said I preferred Carradine, to him. Perhaps it was the fuzzy quality of the old VHS tapes I watched them on back then. That's a half decent excuse, above and beyond being younger and dumber, isn't it?)

Lon Chaney Jr. is back as Lawrence Talbot, and is playing the lead, or at least the hero fighting the evil monsters. Rosa confirmed it was the same guy, then asked if this was before he was cured. It could be, since the timeline of the regular films is confusing. 
The issue is: the Frankenstein Monster chronology doesn't have room for a trip to America between films. The Monster starts each story where he left off the last time. I said it could be an alternate universe, but Rosa didn't like that answer because it is the "same guy."  

However, I don't like Larry losing the cure from the last picture, that was too good of an ending.
 
Maybe (assuming all the other movies are further in the past, as suggested by mainly travelling by horse) -
Lawrence Talbot lived a full and normal life after being cured. 
Then, when he died of natural causes, the Wolf Man curse resurrected him and he dedicated himself to fighting the other immortal monsters.
Not only would that fit this film into the main Universal continuity, it allows Monster Squad to be a part of it, and a direct sequel to this movie. 

Glen Strange got way more to do in this outing than his other two combined. As Rosa pointed out in those, he wakes up near the end, goes "RAAAAAH!" and dies in a fire. 

Here he walks around, interacts with people and other monsters, chases the heroes, and talks a little before having an impressive fiery send off.

What makes this film such a fantastic introduction to these classic monsters is that they, and the mad scientist (Lenore Aubert as Doctor Mornay), are played scary and straight. It's Wilbur and Chick's reactions to them that bring the comedy. The other couple stuck in as a love interest get minimal screen time, unless it is to push the laughs forward. Therefore, along with Bud Abbot (one of the greatest straight men in history) Costello gets to play off half a dozen other straight "men" in various ways, making it a constant yet varied stream of hilarity.

Bud and Lou have the best comic timing of any team in history, because they practiced it incessantly. They are nowhere near the first comedy team to do a baseball routine with confusing names, but they perfected it to the point they (and it) have a spot in the building at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.
Their timing  works here with their usual interplay, and bouncing off the monsters.

There aren't any reactions or running commentary from Rosa and I on this one.
We were too busy laughing out loud.
Lou's impressions of the creatures and his panicked moments kill me every time.

I think we're going to have to watch this one again with Anabelle. 
Maybe with the whole extended family.



Later edit: We did. 
They laughed at some of it, but Black and White is such a turn off to the kids. It's sad.
However, the adults all enjoyed it thoroughly.

 Click here for Universal Monsters Index 

No comments: